Sunday, January 16, 2011

Beranda » , , , » Harry Potter and Ophiucus

Harry Potter and Ophiucus

Here is a tale of two books written about 2000 years apart.


All the hooha about the intruder constellation Ophiucus sent me to my well-thumbed copy of Manilius' Astronomica, the Roman astrology manual dating from around the second century. I knew there'd be a tit-bit in there.


It just so happens that I am also in the midst of reading the Harry Potter books to my children. I scared myself senseless reading the part of Voldemort recently. His voice tends to take possession of whoever reads - yikes. 


The baddy Lord Voldemort and the goody Harry Potter are both gifted with parseltongue, the ability to speak to snakes. This is associated with "Dark Magic" and only wizards of exceptional power have the gift.


Here's how Manilius describes people born with Ophiucus rising"When Ophiucus, encircled by the serpent's great coils, rises beside the figure of Capricorn, he renders the forms of snakes innocuous to those born under him. They will receive snakes into the folds of their flowing robes, and will exchange kisses with these poisonous monsters and suffer no harm."


Well, we know Harry's a Leo Sun and Voldy's a Capricorn but I guess they must both have the old Serpent -bearer rising.


For more of Manilius on Ophiucus look here.